– 2 min – Trust me, I didn’t come up with this question myself. And neither is it from a grudgeful friend or acquaintance. It’s Syd Field asking me this. In The Screenwriter’s Workbook. Chapter 2. It’s not a mean question. He simply asks what you think your strengths are as a screenwriter, which I… Continue reading Day 16 28/02/2016 # Why Do I Think I Can Write A Screenplay?
– 1 min – Well, she says after just watching the beautiful tribute to silent film The Artist (2011), which received 5 Academy Awards. Not that that always means anything. But I loved it, not just because it really was very well made in my opinion, but also because it fits in so well with… Continue reading Day 15 24/02/2016 # Dialogue Is Overrated
– 3 min – One thing I have discovered on this journey, and not just this screenwriting journey, but on this I-love-film-and-I-want-to-do-something-with-it journey, is that because it’s an art form and not a straight I-can-see-you-making-money-with-it-easily job, is that support is hard to find, or harder to find I should say. Immediately your family and friends… Continue reading Day 14 21/02/2016 # When In Doubt
– 1 min – Ah, a good ole mocking story. It was one of those rainy Saturdays today and that calls for movies like the classic The Princess Bride (1987). Guarantees a good feeling. For a few reasons. It’s a love story, it’s adventurous, it’s funny, and most of all, it’s mocking those kinds of… Continue reading Day 13 20/02/2016 # A Mocking Day
– 3 min – There is a saying in Dutch that literally translated means: you are contaminated by those you spend time with. And without realizing it, my thinking is changing into what I will call ‘a screenwriter’s brain’. And it feels similar to when I took an editing course, not the software, but in… Continue reading Day 12 17/02/2016 # A Screenwriter’s Brain
– 3 min – And I do mean EVERYTHING. Why do you do what you do? What is your story? If you don’t know the motivation of why someone is doing something or not doing something, it’s so much harder to relate or have empathy towards that person or understand what is going on. Imagine… Continue reading Day 11 16/02/2016 # Motivation Is Everything
– 4 min – While I am working on screenwriting, I am still continuing with my other topics of my DIY film school, as part of my diving into my passion for visual storytelling fully. And by no coincidence I am sure, I’m studying Alfred Hitchcock and his work right now and watching other early… Continue reading Day 10 12/02/2016 # The Good Ole Days